Bookmark Kaumudi Online  Bookmark this site  Editor@Kaumudi  |  Marketing  Print Advt rates  |  Calendar 2012        Go!    
 
 
August 16, Wednesday 2017 10:52 PM       

       HEADLINES: Transgender found dead in Aluva                                              CM’s office intervened for self-financing managements                                              Pulsar Suni's 'madam' still remains a mystery                                              Jean Paul Lal case: Case can’t be settled                                              B vault will be opened as per SC direction: Minister                                              Indian troops foil China’s incursion bid in Ladakh                                              DMK chief M Karunanidhi admitted to hospital                                              Terror funding case: NIA raids 12 locations in Kashmir                                              Three British men jailed, caned for sexual assault                                              Guam Radio Stations accidentally trigger emergency alert                                              Lankan sports minister calls for report on Test series loss                                              Two Punjab cops win medals at WPFG games in USA                                              FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017 begins on Oct 6                                              Kaumudi Facebook
       WORLD Next Article: Russia says 180 IS fighters killed in Syria strikes  
       57 dead in massive forest fire, 59 injured in Portugal
 
         Posted on :16:30:11 Jun 18, 2017
   
A A
       Last edited on:16:30:11 Jun 18, 2017
         Tags: Portugal, 57, dead, forest fire
 

PENELA (PORTUGAL): Raging forest fires in central Portugal have killed at least 57 people, most of who burnt to death in their cars, and injured scores of others, the government said Sunday.

Nearly 600 firefighters and 160 vehicles were dispatched late Saturday to tackle the blaze, which broke out in the afternoon in the municipality of Pedrogao Grande, about 50 kilometres (30 miles) from Coimbra, before spreading fast across several fronts.

"Unfortunately this seems to be the greatest tragedy we have seen in recent years in terms of forest fires," a visibly moved Prime Minister Antonio Costa said.

"The number of fatalities could still rise," he said at the Civil Protection headquarters near Lisbon. "The priority now is to save those people who could still be in danger."

The European Union said it would provide firefighting planes following a request from Lisbon.

"France has offered three planes through the EU Civil Protection Mechanism and they will be quickly sent to assist the local emergency efforts," EU Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management Christos Stylianides said.

Portugal was sweltering under a severe heatwave Saturday, with temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) in several regions. Some 60 forest fires broke out across the country during the night, with around 1,700 firefighters battling to put them out.

Secretary of State for the Interior Jorge Gomes said 43 people burned to death, mostly trapped in their cars engulfed by flames in the Leiria region. At least 59 were injured.

The flames spread "with great violence", moving out on four fronts, Gomes said. "It is difficult to say if they were fleeing the flames or were taken by surprise."

Dry thunderstorms could have been the cause of the fatal blaze, according to the prime minister.

A number of villages were affected by the main fire and evacuation procedures had been put in place for some of them, Costa added. Officials were not immediately able to comment on the extent of the damage.

Spain dispatched two water-bombing planes on Sunday morning to aid the Portuguese fire service on the ground, Costa said.

He added a period of national mourning would be announced shortly.

 

"My thoughts are with the victims in Portugal," EU commission head Jean-Claude Juncker tweeted. "I commend the bravery of the firefighters. EU civil protection mechanism activated & will help."

President Marcelo Rebelo went to the Leiria region to meet families of the victims, "sharing their pain in the name of all the Portuguese people," he said.

Firefighters did "all they could" when faced with the blaze, he added. Dozens of people who fled their homes were taken in by residents of the nearby municipality of Ansiao.

"There are people who arrived saying they didn't want to die in their homes, which were surrounded by flames," Ansiao resident Ricardo Tristao told reporters.

Portugal was hit by a series of fires last year which devastated more than 100,000 hectares (1,000 square kilometres) of the mainland.

Fires on the tourist island of Madeira in August killed three people, while over the course of 2016 around 40 homes were destroyed and 5,400 hectares of land burned.

A A
       WORLD
Next Article: Russia says 180 IS fighters killed in Syria strikes
 
 
WORLD HEADLINES
Guam Radio Stations accidentally trigger emergency alert  
Three British men jailed, caned for sexual assault  
China, Pak partners of strategic cooperation: Wang  
Massive mudslide in Sierra Leone, over 200 dead  
Pak hoists 'largest' national flag to mark 70th I-Day  
Venezuela calls Trump's warning 'crazy act'  
Strong earthquake of magnitude 6.4 jolts Indonesia's Sumatra  
World's oldest man, a Holocaust survivor, dies at 113  
Satellite images show N Korea testing submarine missile  
Blast targeting military vehicle kills 15 people in Quetta  
China earthquake: Death toll rises to 24  
28 killed, 80 injured after two trains collide in Egypt  
US Military 'locked and loaded' to face Pyongyang provocation: Trump  
Doklam standoff: China rejects reports of offering to relocate troops  
India giving signs for possible military clashes: State Media  
UK homeless population may double by 2041: Crisis report  
Trump slams McConnell for ObamaCare repeal failure  
Pak's ISI wanted Taliban leader Mansour to destroy schools, roads in Afghan  
4 Pak Army personnel killed in clashes with militants  
China earthquake: Death toll rises to 13  
Khaleda Zia gets permanent bail in graft case  
Prince Salman bin Saad bin Abdullah passes away  
Ivanka Trump to visit India in Nov  
Nepal won't take any sides in India-China standoff: Deputy PM  
Defiant N Korea rejects talks post UN sanctions  
 
Do you think government hospitals in Kerala are unequipped to handle emergencies?
Yes
 
No
 
No Opinion
 
 
 
Home Kerala India World Business Sports Sci&Tech Education Automobile CityNews Movies Environment Letters 
© Copyright keralakaumudi Online 2011  |  Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.
Head Office Address: Kaumudi Buildings, Pettah P.O, Trivandrum - 695024, India.
Online queries talk to Deepu Sasidharan, + 91 98472 38959 or Email deepu[at]kaumudi.com
Customer Service -Advertisement Disclaimer Statement   |  Copyright Policy